I made my first cookie cutters today. I decided last week that I wanted to make some sugar skull shaped cookies to decorate with fondant, so I needed to make some custom cookie cutters. I picked up some medium weight aluminum sheet metal and cut it into strips a little over 1 inch wide using a pair of tin snips. I decided to go with the heavier gauge metal which was harder to work with, but they wouldn’t easily lose their shape with all the banging around in the kitchen.
I used a pair of pliers to bend the sheets into shape, I used my paper sketch as a guide. Then I just filed down the sharp metal pokies with a metal rasp. I don’t really want my cookie cutters to bite back.
I found some food safe metal adhesive and applied it to the overlap and secured them with a C-clamp
Then I waited 4 hours……
Next time I’m soldering them together. I’m going to get a soldering iron next week!
I ended up making a sacred heart one as well.
I’m waiting for its four hours to pass right now, as I only seem to own one set of c-clamps…
I can’t wait to try them out!
They are a not perfect, but I’m not too worries about it this time.
Tomorrow I’m going to experiment with rolled fondant on my pretty new sugar cookies. Fondant scares me a bit, but do not fear…I will win.