When I started my first few attempts at stumpwork for my last art show I seriously had no idea what I was getting myself into. I started off with some zombie pieces that ended up being so complex that I am still working on them 5 months later…with no end in site. When I finished my first few needle lace trees I honestly cried because it was so slow and frustrating. While I eventually got faster at making needle lace, I would by no means say I’ve mastered it. The banners I ended up showing are mostly wired needlelace, they also included applique, traditional embroidery and hand beading (I had never beaded either, ugg.) Here are some details of of the first banner, the center oval containing the skeleton measures roughly 1’X2′.